We cannot escape stress. Stress is our body’s way of responding to physical or emotional demands. We all experience heightened stress levels at some point in our lives. But when we are under high stress levels for a long period of time, our body might not be able to handle it. One proof of this is a recent study published in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health. According to the study, stress is highly related to and dyslipidemia. Dyslipidemia is a condition characterized by an abnormal amount of lipids that can block a person’s arteries. In particular, high levels of LDL cholesterol or the bad cholesterol, and low levels of HDL cholesterol or the good cholesterol will potentially lead to artery blockage. Artery blockage leads to stroke and heart attack.
Prevention is Better than Cure
We have to nip stress in the bud to protect our health. One of the ways of doing this is through therapeutic massage. Therapeutic massage or massage therapy does reduce stress levels. It also reduces depression and boost happy feelings among people. These are facts confirmed by a lot scientific studies published in different scientific journals.
Here are some of the proofs that therapeutic massage decreases stress levels:
- Massage releases endorphins that calm the peripheral nervous system. – The Franklin Institute
- Massage is a valid medical method to reduce stress and pain. Therapeutic massage reduces anxiety in children with depression and women with anorexia. It also reduced anxiety and withdrawal symptoms in adults trying to quit smoking. – The Mayo Clinic
- A significant reduction in cortisol (stress hormone) could be safely achieved through massage, with associated improvement in psychological well-being. – Psycho-oncology, October 2008
- Massage therapy is a proven, mainstream, medically based, non evasive way to physically reduce harmful levels of stress hormones in the body while increasing levels of endorphins. – Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1996.
- Massage therapy had immediate beneficial effects on anxiety-related measures. – The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, May 2008
Indeed, therapeutic massage is the most effective treatment of choice when dealing with everyday stress. So why not spend an hour every day in a massage clinic than in a hospital bed somewhere? Therapeutic massage is good for a person’s well-being. It is worth trying today.
Massage Envy Citrus Park
12865 Citrus Plaza Drive MM# 19430 Tampa, FL 33625